Two days before the Bletchley Declaration, U.S President, Jo Biden, issued his first Executive Order on the Safe, Secure and Trustworthy Development and Use of AI stating that his Administration ‘places the highest urgency on governing the development and use of AI safely and responsibly, and is therefore advancing a coordinated, Federal Government-wide approach to doing so’. The Order sets out key directives that will be addressed including:
- Directing the development of standardized evaluations of AI systems standards and rules across federal government agencies
- Recruiting AI talent including to provide for more ‘highly skilled immigrants and non-immigrants’ with critical AI expertise to stay and work in the U.S.
- Calling on Congress to publish its forthcoming AI study on copyright issues raised by AI
- Calling on Congress to pass a Federal Privacy Bill
- Aligning with other global actions (G7, European Union Artificial Intelligence Act, etc.)
Read the Executive Order here.